There are numerous religions scattered across the world, but they all seem to have some similarities when dealing with human sexuality. Let us examine some of the most common religious beliefs that cover sex.
- Having sex with someone’s wife is wrong.
- Incest is discouraged in all religions.
- Homosexuality, that is being a gay or a lesbian, is discouraged.
- Dwelling on immoral lascivious thoughts is discouraged.
- There is a general requirement to dress honorably and in a respectable manner.
- There is a general requirement to avoid the company of uncouth individuals and refrain from places that levity and depravity.
- A prohibition of looking a member of the opposite sex lusciously.
- Having sex with an animal is prohibited.
- There is a general prohibition from having sex with a menstruating woman, until she is clean after menstruation.
- Sex before marriage is generally prohibited.
- Having sex with a corpse is wrong.
- A prohibition of having sex with brothers of your husband, or sisters of your wife, mother in law, father in law, and other close relatives of your sexual partner.
- Prostitution both male and female is discouraged in most religions.
- Pedophiliac tendencies are also discouraged.
Some religions and denominations have specific sexual codes that are suitable to them. For example Catholicism encourages celibacy for their priests, but some Catholics calling themselves reformed Catholics are encouraging their priests to marry. Orthodox Judaism discourages public display of affections e.g. public hugging, kissing, holding hands etc, looking at mating animals, looking at erotic materials like drawings, being alone with a member of opposite sex who is not your partner, masturbation etc
Islam discourages marriage unions between them and non-Muslims, marrying your fathers’ wives, close relatives, sodomy, among others found in the Qur’an.
LaVeyan Satanism is critical of most sexual practices, considering them narrow, restrictive and hypocritical. Satanists are pluralists; they accept gays, lesbians, bisexuals, BDSM, polyamorists, transgendered people, and asexuals.
Sex among Satanists is viewed as an indulgence, but one that should only be freely entered into with consent.
The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth only give two instructions regarding sex: "Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal" and "Do not harm little children", though the latter is much broader and encompasses physical and other abuse.
Satanism religious codes of ethics have sexual codes that do not restrict what most religions restrict, and some sexual practices to them are employed ritualistically.